Countering HIV / AIDS in Ukraine is one of the priorities of the state policy in the field of healthcare and social development, as well as a subject of international liabilities.
According to WHO / UNAIDS, Ukraine continues to be a region with high HIV prevalence in Central Europe and East Asia. Analysis of the situation with HIV / AIDS epidemic testifies to the fact that the epidemic control is not implemented to the full extent:
- only every second person infected with HIV is aware of their positive status and addresses a medical establishment;
- there is a high percentage of positive results among blood donors, especially primary ones;
- the proportion of children with congenital HIV infection is not decreasing;
- increasingly stronger epidemic impact is related to the highly stigmatized group of men who have sex with men.
It is particularly menacing that people living with HIV tend to address for medical help tardily; this results in late detection of AIDS and associated forms of TB / HIV, which is the reason for high mortality among patients. The above facts attest to the conclusion concerning the lack of comprehensiveness in approaches combining prevention and treatment programs at the national and regional levels into a single efficient response system.
For a better awareness of your health issues important to get acquainted with the guidance documents in this area.
Why is it important to know these documents?
- In order to know who people should address in case of need;
- To know their own rights and responsibilities and those of their loved ones and be able to protect them;
- For professionals – to carry out their duties in accordance with the current legislation of Ukraine and best international practices and standards.
Today key guiding documents in the fight against the HIV / AIDS epidemic in Ukraine, which should be familiarized to individuals and profile organics, are:
The Laws of Ukraine:
- On Prevention of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and Social Protection of the Population
- On Ensuring Sanitary and Epidemiological Welfare of the Population
- Basic Laws of Ukraine on Healthcare
- On Ratification of the Loan Agreement (Tuberculosis and HIV / AIDS Control Project in Ukraine) between Ukraine and the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- On Amnesty (Art.1, Art. 15)
- On Approval of the National Programme on Combating HIV / AIDS in years 2014-2018
- On National Programme ‘National Action Plan to Implement the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child’ for the period till 2016
- On Protection of the Population Against Infectious Diseases
- On Donation of Blood and Blood Components
Decrees of the President
- On Improving Governance in Countering HIV / AIDS and Tuberculosis in Ukraine
- On Additional Emergency Measures to Counteract HIV / AIDS in Ukraine
- On Measures to Protect the Rights and Legitimate Interests of Children
Resolutions of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
- On Draft Laws On Amending the Law Of Ukraine ‘On Prevention Of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and Social Protection’
- On Recommendations of Parliamentary Hearings Concerning ‘Ways to Reform the Healthcare and Health Insurance in Ukraine’
Resolutions of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine
- On Some Issues of Countering TB and HIV / AIDS
- On the Amount of the Monthly State Aid to Children under 16 Infected with HIV / AIDS
- On the Issue of Prevention and Protection of People against HIV Infection and AIDS
- On Establishment of the Ukrainian Fund to Fight HIV and AIDS
- On the Participation of Central Executive Authorities in the Activities of International Organizations Involving Ukraine as a Member
- On Approval of the Action Plan to Implement in 2010 National Program ‘National Action Plan to Implement the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child’ for the period till 2016
The key guideline documents for counteracting the HIV / AIDS epidemic in Ukraine for physicians and specialized organizations are:
- Order of the Ukrainian Centre for Control over Diseases that Pose Danger to Public Health (UCCD) of 20.01.2015 № 138-дт ‘On Approval of the Regulation on the Permanent National Medical Advisory Committee (Council) on TB, Including the Co-infection of TB / HIV’
Protocols and standards
Orders of the Ministry of Healthcare
- Unified Clinical Protocol of Primary, Secondary (Specialized) and Tertiary (Highly Specialized) Medical Care in Case of Co-infection (TB / HIV / AIDS)
- Unified Clinical Protocol of Primary, Secondary (Specialized) and Tertiary (Highly Specialized) Care for Children with HIV
- Adapted clinical guidelines based on evidence ‘HIV Infection in Children’
- Order of the MOH of Ukraine №92 of 24.02.2015 ‘On Approval and Introduction of Medical and Technological Documents for Standardization of Medical Care for HIV-Positive Children’
- Order of the MOH of Ukraine №551 of 12.07.2010 ‘On Approval of the Clinical Protocol for Antiretroviral Treatment of HIV Infection in Adults and Adolescents’
- Order of the MOH of Ukraine of 05.11.2013 №955 ‘On Approval of Regulations on Protection from HIV Infection in the Performance of Professional Duties’
- Order of the MOH of Ukraine of 11.06.2015 №329 ‘On Amendments to the List of Contagious Diseases which Constitute Grounds for Refusal to Issue a Permit for Immigration to Ukraine’
- Order of the MOH of Ukraine of 07.08.2015 №496 ‘On Amendments to the Rules of Writing Out Prescriptions and Requirement-Order for Medicines and Medical Products’
- Order of the MOH of Ukraine of 07.08.2015 №494 ‘On Some Issues of Purchasing, Transportation, Storage, Delivery, Use and Destruction of Narcotic Drugs, Psychotropic Substances and Precursors in Healthcare Institutions’
Accounting and Reporting
- Order of the MOH of Ukraine ‘On Approval of Forms of Primary Records and Reporting on Monitoring the HIV Epidemic Situation and Instructions for Filling Them Up’ of March 5, 2013 №180, registered with the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine on March 27, 2013 under №495 / 23027
- Order of the MOH of Ukraine №182 of 21.03.2012 ‘On Approval of Primary Record Forms for Documents and Reports on Monitoring the Treatment of HIV-Positive Persons and Instructions for Filling Them Up’
- Order of the MOH of Ukraine of 22.05.2013 № 410 ‘On Approval of Primary Record Forms for Documents and Reports on the Registration of Cases of Exposure to Blood or Human Biological Materials, Contaminated Tools, Equipment or Objects, Conducting Post-Exposure Prophylaxis of HIV Infection and Instructions for Filling Them Up’.
- Informed Voluntary Consent of the Patient to Processing of Personal Data (.doc file download)
- Order № 903/18198 of the Ministry of Family, Youth and Sports of Ukraine, Ministry of Labour and Social Policy of Ukraine, Ministry of Healthcare of Ukraine ‘On Approval of Standards of Social Services to Vulnerable Groups’
- Order № 904/18199 of the Ministry of Family, Youth and Sports of Ukraine, Ministry of Labour and Social Policy of Ukraine, Ministry of Healthcare of Ukraine ‘Standards for Social Services to Prevent HIV Infection among People at High Risk of HIV Infection through Sexual Transmission’.
- Order № 906/18201 of the Ministry of Family, Youth and Sports of Ukraine, Ministry of Labour and Social Policy of Ukraine, Ministry of Healthcare of Ukraine ‘Standards for Social Services for Patients with Triple Diagnosis (HIV, Tuberculosis, Drug Addiction)’.
- Order № 907/18202 of the Ministry of Family, Youth and Sports of Ukraine, Ministry of Labour and Social Policy of Ukraine, Ministry of Healthcare of Ukraine ‘Standards for Social Services to Persons Receiving Substitution Maintenance Therapy with Opioid Agonists’