The activity was made possible through support provided by the U.S Agency for International Development (USAID) through the Strengthening Tuberculosis Control in Ukraine (STbCU) project. (www.stbcu.com.ua).
The project is implemented by the International NGO "International HIV / AIDS and Tuberculosis Institute" in partnership with the Charitable Foundation "TB Hope ".
The term of the project is January - December 2016.
In 2014, according to official data, rate of interrupted treatment of new cases of the drug-sensitive tuberculosis in Kyiv was 13%, and of all types of new MRTB was 34%.
The aim of the activity is to reduce the frequency of interruption of TB treatment during outpatient phase in pilot districts of Kyiv city (Solomensky and Golosiivsky districts) through the development of the model of psycho-social support to patients with TB.
- to enhance quality of TB services and linkages between TB and other treatment and social services;
- to strengthen capacities of the service providers (health and social workers) in the implementation of the patient-centered psycho-social support services for TB patients in the two pilot sites;
- to improve the quality of medical and psycho-social care available for TB patients during the ambulatory treatment phase;
- to improve the motivation to TB treatment among patients.
During the project implementation is planned:
- creation of working group on development of methodological recommendation about TB patient psycho-social support under the TB/HIV Coordination Council of Kyiv City Administration;
- development of referral mechanisms between health and social service providers for TB patients;
- development, piloting and implementation of methodological recommendations for providing psycho-social support needed to improve adherence to TB treatment;
- conduction of pre- post- intervention treatment adherence measurement at two pilot sites and two control sites not included in the project ;
- conduction of trainings for medical and social workers, psychologists for the organization of provision of psycho-social support for increasing adherence of patients to TB treatment;
- provision of individual and group psychosocial services for 200 TB patients and members of their families.
All publications within the grant reflect the views of the authors and are not necessarily the official views of USAID or of the US government