According to the Center for Public Health of the Ministry of Health, for the period from 1987 to October 2018, 330,415 cases of HIV infection were officially registered in Ukraine, including 109,437 cases of AIDS and 47,646 deaths from diseases caused by AIDS.
In order to prevent the spread of HIV infection, the state and public organizations implement programs what should promote awareness of the population about the disease, prevention methods and testing to determine the current status of a person.
Today in Ukraine, testing for HIV can be done in almost every health facility. In accordance with the regulatory framework, each person applying for HIV testing must have a pre-test counseling. During the pretest counseling, each person has the opportunity to ask questions and receive information about HIV, how to transfer it, to assess with the specialist the risk of HIV infection and consider the possibilities for its reduction, to receive information about the organizations where other assistance can be obtained, etc. When receiving the test result for HIV infection, the person must be informed about its meaning and post-test counseling.
The national system of voluntary counseling and testing is one of the most advanced components of national HIV / AIDS response in Ukraine.
Counseling and testing in Ukraine is conducted in accordance with:
- Protocol "The Procedure for Voluntary Counseling and Testing for HIV", approved by the Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine No. 415 of 19.08.2005, "On Improvement of Voluntary Counseling and Testing for HIV-infection";
- Changes to the protocol "On the Procedure for Voluntary Counseling and Testing for HIV", approved by the Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine No. 114 of February 14, 2012 "On the organization of providing counseling and testing services for HIV, hepatitis B and C, sexually transmitted infections by";
- Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine No. 388 of 11.05.2010 "On Improving the Diagnosis of HIV Infection".
According to the Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine dated May 11, 2010, No. 388, starting 01.01.2011, the "Ukrainian Center for the Control of Socially Dangerous Diseases of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine", and now the State Health Center "Center for Public Health of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine" collects and summarizes the data in the form of reporting №3 - HIV/AIDS (quarterly) "Report on counseling in connection with testing for HIV infection".
Get tested for HIV and receive advice in Kiev can be at the following locations:
- Cabinet of Trust (Kyiv City Center for AIDS Prevention and Control): Kyiv, st. Triohsviatytel's'ka, 7 (subway station: Independence Square, European Square).
- Cabinet of Trust (Kyiv City Center for AIDS Prevention and Control): Kyiv, st. Vidpochinku, 11 (subway station: Svyatoshyn, Troll №7), in the premises of ML number 5, infectious building, 1 floor.
- Cabinet of Trust (Kyiv City Center for AIDS Prevention and Control): Kyiv, st. Borispilska, 30/a, in the premises of the clinic №2 of the Darnytskyi district, 2nd floor (subway station: Chernihivska, tram №22).
- Cabinet of Trust (Kyiv City AIDS Center): Kyiv, Vysotsky Boulevard, 8, in the skin trunk clinic №2 (subway station: Chernihivska, Petrivka).
- Laboratory for the Prevention and Control of AIDS City Sanitary and Epidemiological Station: Kyiv, st. Estonian, 3 (subway station: Nyvky, troll number 5, 26).